Monday, March 28, 2011

Avocado Heaven

So, in the US, avocados go with Mexican food. Well, and in weird vegan concoctions that I find just scary enough to not try.

And they really do show up in food in Mexico. Imagine that. Mostly, though, they show up in *my* food. The thing is, they don't seem to sell much of anything in Mexico as a "per item" if it's produce. Nope, produce is per kilogram. So if you get a *huge* avocado, you pay that portion of the per kilo price. And if you get a tiny one ('cause it's the only one ripe enough to eat right then...) you only pay *that* portion of the kilogram price.

And they're about $2 per kilo here on the mystery island. 24-28-ish pesos per kilo, that is. Instead of 2/$3 with tiny avocados, or my least favorite, $3 *each*. Yesterday I picked up (and ate for dinner) two medium avocados for m$15, or about us$1.25.

So I'm sure no one will be surprised to learn that I'm stuffing my face with them. Not, I admit, the most healthy option. Not the cheapest either. But so very tasty. Avocados are full of (mostly) healthy fats, and are pretty high in calories, so *should* be enjoyed in moderation (except maybe by people without much other fat in their diets...) but are super tasty and a little slice can really improve a meal.

In the last week I've put avocado:

  • on my fried potato/ onion thing
  • on my black bean concoction
  • on toast
  • in a toasted sammich
  • on chips as guacamole
  • in my stomach straight from the skin
They also make taco night really amazing. Instead of cheese (or in addition), add a thin slice of avocado to your tacos and they're just better.

So, in the spirit of avocados everywhere, I thought I'd share my two favorite avocado recipes, and one variation I'm told is really good but I think looks gross.

Guacamole-
  • 1-3 ripe avocados, pitted and removed from the skin
  • 1/4C diced onion (approx)
  • 1-3 cloves diced garlic
  • salt
  • juice from 1/2 to 1 lime or splash of vinegar.
Smoosh the avocado, mix in everything else. Eat on chips, tacos, sammiches, burgers, alone, etc.

variations: mix in 1-3 chopped/ mashed boiled eggs, up to 1 chopped tomato, cilantro, pepper, etc.

Simple Avocado
  • 1-3 ripe avocados
  • 1 lime
  • salt
  • spoon
Cut open and de-pit the avocados. Slice the avocado in a criss-cross pattern, being careful not to slice through the skin. Salt avocado. Squeeze lime juice over. Eat with spoon.

I've been mostly sticking to that last one, actually. Mmm, avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment