Monday, April 5, 2010

Day 51- Easter, and things I shouldn't eat

I went to dinner at the house of one of my mother's friends. I brought something, but then continued with my off-wagon eating.

I made basic pasta, rolled it out with a rolling pin (the lip on the counters isn't enough to secure the pasta machine, and I didn't have time to magic something up), boiled and tossed it with lightly steam/ boiled asparagus, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. I also made up a good sized batch of the almond sauce, with lemon this time, since I had it.


There was a lot of food over there, and most of it was veggie, if not vegan. Did I mention that I'm feeling a little off?


Wow, that was a lot of food.

my plate was a bit easier.


okra/ butter beans, curried fruit, mac and cheese (making me sick, even now...), squash casserole, basmati rice with peppers (I think I ended up with all of it in a take home baggie- along with a bunch of mac and cheese), my pasta, and a small hunk of challa, which isn't in that last picture. Yummy.

Pasta-
  • 1 1/4C flour, + 1/4C for kneeding/ rolling
  • 1/3C water, +/-
mix the water into the flour. When it gets too thick to mix with a fork or spoon, flour hands and kneed until you get a smooth, easy ball of not-sticky dough. Quarter the ball of dough. Dust a rolling surface and rolling pin. lightly flatten 1/4 dough, then roll out to pretty thin- less than 1/8 inch, but more than paper-thin. Using sharp knife, pull slices through dough to make strips of pasta. Dust lightly on both sides with flour, then drape over the side of a bowl or other item until you're ready to boil them. Repeat until all dough is used.

Boil fresh in well salted water for a couple minutes- I think mine cooked for about 6 minutes- they were thick. Drain when done. Whole pasta deal from start to finish was maybe 25 minutes, including making the sauce.

veggies are just asparagus steamed/ boiled in water and lemon juice, then tossed with some salt and a bunch of olive oil. Super yum.

Ok, going to go feel full now.

1 comment:

  1. sounds good and thats an awesome easy way to make pasta!! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete