Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day 67- Split Pea Dahl

Split peas, while a cheap sub for split red lentils, have a slightly different taste, so this isn't a perfect fake out for "real" dahl. And they fall apart a lot, so it's much more like curried pea mush (which, I guess, technically, dahl is...), And because of all of that, and the bit where I cooked it in the slow cooker, it looks somewhat like something that should be coming out of a body, rather than going in.

But really, it's pretty good, and with the cilantro, doesn't even look quite as gross!
Photobucket
But just to be nice, I thought I'd give you a photo that focused on the rice.

Cheap Cheating Dahl
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1lb green split peas
  • oil for frying
  • 2T+/- salt
  • 1T curry powder (or homemade mix)
  • 1tsp garam masala (optional)
fry the onions in oil with a bit of salt until lightly browned. Put the peas and onions in the slow cooker, then fill to twice that depth with water. You *will* need more later, so if you're going to be gone all day start with extra. Put on lid and cook on high for about 3 hours (if you'll be home and can stir), I don't know how long it'd take on low, but I'd guess around 12 hours. Stir it and check for burning or dry spots. Add more water if you need to. If the peas have already cooked, add salt and spices, mix in, and simmer on low for 2-5 hours. The flavor gets better the longer it cooks.

Right before serving, mix chopped cilantro into the "stew", if you have it. I always want garlic naan with this, but not having any I settled for rice. Not bad.

Breakfast I returned to the way of the oatmeal. I should get around to turning my roast eggplant into baba ganoush (sp?) in the next day or so. I promise to take pictures.

Woot! for "Indian" food!

You'll all let me know if photos stop showing up, right? I trust you to let me know- I spend some time each day reading blogs, but oddly enough, I usually don't read *this* one... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment