Monday, March 21, 2011

Tourist Prices

I'm still relaxing (er, loafing) on my small quiet "mystery" island. Technically it's a "tourist" destination, in that the main income for the locals used to be fishing and now it's tourists. It's not "touristy" really, tho.

I mean, sure, there are a bunch of hotels, and of course the prices at most of the restaurants are a little high- though I'm sure they have special "local" prices, too. But it doesn't have that theme park feel Isla Mujeres does, and I have many, many chances to force my terrible (but swiftly improving) Spanish on people every time I leave the hostel. You see, people staying in hotels don't usually go to the supermarket, so the people there don't speak English. Or at the hole-in-the-wall tortillaria. Or at *any* of the street stands, mini-supers (convenience stores), bakeries or vegetable shops.

What am I saying... They *do* go to a couple of those places, but really only the ones right by the square. You know, ones on "wide" streets, with plenty of room to park their rented golf carts. 'Cause this island is so big...

So the longer I stay here, the farther from the main square I venture for my food, drinks, and snacks. You see, on the square a 600ml bottle of pepsi is 10 pesos, and 1.5L of water is 18. One block from the square (at the "real" grocery stores) it's 9 for pepsi and m$12 for the water. Two blocks more and they drop to 8 and 10. Heck, the bakery by the square charges m$8 for one roll, and the one way off in some small neighborhood (um... 4 blocks away) charges m$4.

I still haven't found anywhere that Nutella isn't *really* crazy, but I can deal with that. Everything on the island but fish and (some of the) eggs and chicken comes from Cancun, 3 hours away. I think I can handle the higher prices. Not sure how the locals do, tho- the ones who don't have their own business make between m$100 and 300 a day, with tips and whatnot.

Crazy, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment