Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Good News Bad News

Good News--

It doesn't seem like the huge bloaty stomach/ gassy ook problem is cause by gluten

Bad News--

It does in fact seem to be caused by onions and garlic instead.

I tested it, you see. I made pancakes--which are full of gluten but totally lacking in onions and garlic. Then I waited. And waited. And waited.

At no point did I look like one of those people having keyhole abdominal surgery. No expando-guts.

Then, later in the day, I made pasta with onions, tomatoes, and cheese. Right after that, my abdomen started expanding. And again last night, after making rice, beans, onions, garlic, and tomato mixture stuff.

The thing is, the onions and garlic don't *always* cause the huge tummy. If they're totally cooked all the way through, I have no problems with them at all. So there's something in raw garlic and onions that is making something in my guts unhappy.

Which really sucks, because I love onions and garlic. They go in almost everything I cook. In huge quantities. I don't want to cut back, and I don't want to cut them out, either. Sometimes a girl just wants a slice of raw onion on her sammich, ya know?

But for happy thoughts, I don't have to cut out pasta or bread or seitan. Or beer. Or whisky made with not-corn. Yum.

For a while there I was worried I'd have to turn into one of those girls that drinks only vodka and pastel-colored drinks. Pleh. Instead I'm going to have to turn into one of those people who thoroughly cooks their garlic, onions, and shallots.

Oh well, any excuse to eat more roasted garlic works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment