Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 10, The great Wok Massacre

Finally made the cinnamon rolls. They are yummy, but I think I still need to work on the recipe a bit. Like maybe figure out a way to make the dough less blah. Could be that I just need to get over it and use more "butter". Meh

Photobucket

This is a really basic yeast dough- it's actually my pizza dough recipe modified a little, which could be why it's blah.

Dough-
  • 2 1/2 C flour
  • dash salt
  • 1 tsp yeast
  • 1 T sugar
  • 1 C warm water
  • 1 T oil
  • added pinch cinnamon
yeast and sugar goes in the water, rest of the dry stuff gets whisked or forked together, then add the oil and yeast/water. Mix. When mixing isn't doing anything, kneed it- there are videos and tutorials online already that explain this far better than I'll ever be able to.

Once the dough is smooth- usually 10 or 15 minutes of kneeding- you can cover it and toss it in the fridge, or cover it and stick it in a warm corner of your kitchen if you intend to finish everything the same day. Make sure it's at least twice as big as when you started before moving on to the next step.

The next bit is a little gear intensive-
you need a rolling pin and some kinda large baking dish- I used a glass lasagna pan. You can sub a clean, even width bottle for the rolling pin, and make a baking dish from aluminum foil if you're too broke to get one cheap from the store or thrift shop.

Cut or chunk the dough into quarters or halves. Roll out rectangles- for quarters you want them about 4x9 or so.

ingredients are-
  • butter or sub
  • 1/3 C sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • chopped fruit and nuts
  • honey or agave nectar, if you have it (I don't)
spread butter thinly (or chunk) over the surface of the dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a baggy or jar, until it looks like the stuff you'd pay too much for at the store. Use a spoon to sprinkle it over the buttered dough. mix the fruit/nuts together- I used raisins, almonds, and about a quarter cup of crystallized ginger I found in my back pack. so around a cup of filling, total. Make sure you have more toward one end of the rectangle, and that everything is evenly spread to the short edges. drizzle the agave now, then roll up dough, from the long end with the least filling, so that you end up with (using quarters) a 4 inch wide roll with more fruit at the outside of the roll. Cut that, carefully, in quarters or thirds, and put in your greased pan. repeat it until all the dough is gone.

Once they're all in the pan, let them rise again until the rolls look fluffy, then sprinkle with whatever sugar mix and fruit you have left over. Bake at around 350F for 20 to 30 minutes.

For lunch I finished of the cheaters chili

Photobucket

Which was good, and I'm sad now that it's gone.

I started a new crock pot of beans in the morning, 2C dry, which became 5 cooked, 4 of which are baggied and in the fridge.

The fifth I used to make dinner- rice and black beans with fried onions and sweet potato.

It is here that I killed the wok. Well, not the wok itself, that's still alive.

Rather, I killed the nonstick lining. Seriously? it burned off, like cheap paint. While I'm sure that I should toss it now, and that the nonstick is probably toxic, I can't replace it right now, so I'll just keep using it. It's not like I intend to reproduce, so any odd mutations will die with me.

So yeah, 8 dollar non stick wok is a bad idea. But it sure was nice while it lasted.

recipe-
1/4 C each chopped onion and peeled chopped sweet potato
drizzle oil
salt
1 C beans
pinch chili powder
couple shakes garlic powder

oh, and I cooked 1/2C of rice according to directions, and it tripled in size. I used maybe half of it for this.

onion, oil, sweet pot go in the pan together. med high to high heat. don't burn pot. Add salt and toss/ mix around until the potato is cooked through and the onion is soft. smaller dice on the sweet potato cooks faster. Don't burn your pot.

Turn the temp waaaay down. add beans, spices, more salt. cook until the beans are warm/ hot.

serve over rice. eat.

it was good, I'll probably make more of this.

Without the burning wok/ tossing first attempt thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment