Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 129- The Luxury of Fresh Breads

I made tortillas last night, which makes two days with fresh "bread" so far this week. Tortillas are pretty luxurious to make at home, really. Machines can crank them out dozens per minute, but it took me more than an hour to make 8. And most of the time isn't from rolling them out, it's from mixing and frying.

Regular yeast bread takes time, sure, but most of it is hands off time when you can wander off and do something else. Making tortillas I have to stand in front of the bowl or stove or rolling pin the entire time. If I had a job, it'd be much cheaper to just buy them.

That's not the case with quick breads. Things like muffins and cupcakes take only 5 or 10 minutes of hands-on time. You can mix them up while the oven warms, while veggies roast, while bringing water to a boil. They fit in neatly with other dinner making activities. The fluffy flat bread on day 128 was the same- mix, knead, stretch, and in the oven it went. It took a couple more minutes, 'cause of the kneading, but I could work with the beans in between steps and while it baked.

No time for other stuff while making tortillas. So there's a pretty good chance I won't be making them again. I'm sure someone out there is faster than me at it, but I don't know how you'd cut down on the time to cook without burning them. I even tried cooking them on a lower temp (which is why they took longer), and while I didn't burn any of them, really, they were also crispy when done. Ick. Probably something in my technique. Meh.

Anyway, I filled them with sautéed onions, yellow, and zucchini squash. Not bad. Not outstanding, I want to marry me it was so good, but eat-able. So not bad. Really would have been better with some beans, but oops, ate them all the day before.

For breakfast I had the rest of the bread with EB. Someone used about a third of the tub, which means I need to be more specific when I say they can use "some". No big deal, just kinda shocking first thing in the morning.

Oh- I have photos of the taco-things, but the camera battery is dead, so you guys don't get them today. Bwa ha ha ha!

The left over tortillas are probably going to turn into cinnamon-sugar-"butter" things sometime in the next hour or so, so you might get to see those tomorrow. If they last that long.

Did you know that you can't just leave iPods in your bag for weeks on end? The battery dies on that, too, just in time for you to find out while you're in the kitchen for two hours. Whoopsie.

No comments:

Post a Comment