Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day 240- How *Not* to Cook Black Beans

So when you cook black beans at 7000 feet (about 2200 meters) above sea level, you can cook them on the stove or in a crockpot for pretty much ever. On high heat, they will *still* never cook. Hates. the only way to cook them there is in a pressure cooker.

Yesterday afternoon I rinsed out the crock pot-o-doom and added some beans. Rinsed, filled with water, made everything good. Got them started cooking (hi), and made some weird flour-thing to nom in the meantime.

The floury thing was good, btw- I made it spicy, fried it up, then mixed up catsup and vegan sour cream to make a tasty pink sauce. Nommed the heck out of it, then licked the plate (yum).

Then I did some work-type stuff. Then I fell asleep.

Note, throughout this all, the crockpot was still cooking away at Hi.

Oops.

So when I woke up at about 4am, I was rather concerned. I could *smell* the crispy, kinda smoky beans. Very not good.

So I added some water, and they were still ok, I think. But they didn't have long before they would have turned into charred crispy, no longer eat-able black bean crisp. Now they're kinda smoky and totally overcooked. But they aren't burnt, so I'm happy.

Yayz!


Bonus moderately-demonic Bear photo. With squEEEEEEEEEEEEkey bone. Him Hearts squeeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment