Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 355- Strange Kitchen Situation

I'm splitting my time this month between Dad's and Mom's. Which is really not idea, but much better than my car or staying at *that place* an extra month.

The problem is, Dad's house also has his GF, who "is not comfortable" around me. So when she's downstairs, I need to be in my room, and when she's upstairs she can appear at any moment (like a magician or a bad movie vampire). Which makes cooking in Dad's seriously snazzy kitchen tricky. I know very few recipes that take fewer than 20 minutes, and I have no space in the pantry here. So all my food stuff (except one thing in the freezer and two in the fridge) is still out in my car.

Makes the whole cooking/ eating thing difficult, but I'm basically a guest, so what can I do, right?

So while I bought Nate's veggie "meatballs" for fast easy protein, I'm not sure I'll get enough time in the kitchen to actually *cook* them. Yesterday I admit that I didn't even try. I just picked up a bag of Tings and some speculoos cookies at EarthFare and snacked on those all day.

I need to figure something out, though. j. cannot live on chips and cookies alone. Also need beans and rice and the odd bit of pasta in sauce. Or at least some bread and sauce for the meatballs.

Any ideas? My (admittedly incompetent) attempts at peace have all been rebuffed, so I don't think that's going to work. And I'm not supposed to confront her- it's "her" house, after all.... So, fast (veggie or vegan) food?

5 comments:

  1. She's 'not comfortable' around her boyfriend's child, and she thinks that is an acceptable situation? Is she 12? I think any house guest should be treated with more grace than being forced to store food in their car. Seriously, is she a total lunatic? Have you talked to your father about the fact that he's living with a mentally unstable harpy with no manners or self-respect?

    I'm sorry, that's a ridiculous situation and I disagree entirely with the idea that you just have to accept it because it's 'her house'. And frankly, your Dad should be stepping up here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, no, she's in her 40's. I'm sure if I pushed the matter, I could claim a (small, sad) corner of the pantry for my dry goods, but I'm not sure I want to enter that war. I might anyway- I can't drive around with food in the car forever. Dad's doing the "keep the peace" thing, I get the feeling he doesn't want to confront her over this.

    And yeah, he's aware that she's tweaked. The official opinion here is that she needs to put on her big girl pants and grow up, but I don't think anyone told her that yet. Meanwhile, I have new levels of sympathy for kids in a "shared custody" situation...

    ReplyDelete
  3. W00t! I get a space in the pantry... I just have to keep my stuff in plastic bags. Why? No idea. Oodles of fun here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you get your pantry space. I'm still tweaked over your Dad's GF, though, but I don't have a lot of experience in that area. My family is odd in that none of the extended family I see very often has ever divorced, including my own parents. Still seems kinda crazy to me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were harder working and more deserving, and she brought 2 daughters (was actually *married* to my dad) I'd think I walked into Cinderella.

    Hey, at least she gives me something to write about.

    ReplyDelete