Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 5

Wow... I'm lazy. Really really lazy. I didn't even get around to making dinner last night until after 1am, and you bet my pale scrawny behind I wasn't posting then... I ate, dumped the little I didn't eat, and went to bed. 'Cause I'm lazy.

So here I am now!
Photobucket

The base is a bundle of somen noodles, mixed with soy sauce and oil. The rest is
  • about a cup of chopped cabbage
  • half a (very) small onion
  • 1 carrot chopped/ sorta diced
  • 2 slices fake veggie ham
  • oil
  • salt
  • 1 green onion
  • soy sauce and
  • powdered garlic
Really not that exciting. Not that healthy, either, though it did have about... 4? yeah, I'd say 4 servings of veggies. Would have been waaay better with some sweet potatoes. I'll see what I can get tomorrow.

Today's breakfast took advantage of a whole bunch of stuff I got yesterday- Pancakes!
Photobucket

This one was a bit of an invention. I lost my good vegan pancake recipe, so had to hunt on the intarwebs. Some had too much of one thing, some had too much of everything. One had no sugar- horrors! So I cobbled this together from the proportions I found in the others. Oh, I also used waaay too much leavening, so I'm halving that again. They were almost bitter with the amount I used. Or maybe that was because I just had them with EB, 'cause I'm too lazy to make simple syrup, and too cheap to buy HFCS filled fake stuff... Nah

Super cheap Pancakes
  • 1c flour (whatever you have)
  • 2T sugar (or more or less)
  • 1/2tsp baking soda
  • 1/2tsp baking powder
  • dash salt
  • dash cinnamon (optional)
  • 1T oil
  • 1C water, soymilk, or other liquid/ mix of liquids
The rest is really easy- dump the dry stuff (that bunch at the top) in a bowl. Mix it together with a spoon, or fork, or whisk. Dump in wet stuff, mix again, just until everything's wet and not toooo lumpy. Fry in non-stick frying pan that's not too hot, flipping them when they'll hold together- a minute or two, until they are cooked.

If you don't know what a cooked pancake should look like, there are pictures on the internet.

Problems you could have-
  1. too hot frying pan will burn the first side of your pancakes before they are solid enough to flip. Fix is to turn the temp down
  2. Too cool frying pan will never cook. So turn the temp up.
  3. Don't have one or all of the ingredients. This one would be tougher. These are about as simple as I know... You can swap honey or agave or maple syrup for the sugar, though, or the right amount of sugar sub if you use that...
Optional add ins (some are super yummy)

  1. Apple juice instead of "milk" or water
  2. Vanilla -I don't have any :(
  3. choco chips
  4. small chunks of fresh, dried, or candied fruit
  5. chopped nuts
  6. peanut or other nut butter
  7. bacos? or I guess real bacon if you eat it...
I'm sure there are more, but those are just the ones I came up with sitting here. Apple juice for liquid, apple sauce instead of oil, diced apple, vanilla, and cinnamon would probably be super yummy. Just remember, if you put in something wet, you either have to take out something wet, or add in something dry that'll keep the ratio at 1:1 liquid/flour.

now i just need to get motivated and make some dinner for tonight. To be honest, I don't know what it would be. I have plenty of ingredients, but no real idea how I want to throw them together. I also only have two slices of "ham" left, and after that I have to actually cook my beans. I better remember to grab the crock pot next time I see Mom...

No comments:

Post a Comment