Friday, April 30, 2010

Day 76- More Unusual Pizza

Sometimes you just gotta work with what you got.

Photobucket

With the second half of the dough from yesterday I made another pizza. Storing the dough overnight in the fridge (in a freezer bag) has a bonus- the dough melds somehow, and the gluten relaxes. That's what allowed me to stretch what is really about 1.25 cups of flour and some random water and spices to cover a whole cookie sheet.

Note- If you make too much dough (on purpose or accidentally) You can toss it in the fridge for a couple days, no problem. It should keep up to 6 months, I think, in the freezer. If you do freeze it, it'll probably take at least a day to defrost in the fridge, so move it before work. Also, it'll take a while to warm up and for the yeast to wake up when you pull it from the fridge, so pull it out when you get home for best, puffiest results- but the time it takes to get everything else ready is usually enough.

So this pizza was actually much larger than the last one.

Scattered corn meal on the foil covered sheet, stretched the dough out onto it. Drizzled about 2T of olive oil over the dough and spread it around (really probably less, but...). Glooped about half the baba onto the dough and spread *it* around over the oil. Attacked with salt and onions and garlic, paprika, onion powders- oh, and black beans- and baked for 15 minutes @450*F

Took it out, added tomato, avocado, lime juice, nommed.

What you're missing in that pic, BTW, is the outstanding crispy, browned, solid bottom to the crust. It was *perfect*. I think it's because of the oil on the crust, but I'm not up on my baking chemistry- anyone actually know? I tried to get a pic, but I wasn't risking the toppings falling off to get it, so no nommy crust pic for you.

Continuing the theme of things that would make this better (and assuming yesterday's are already on the list-but not the cheese), this would have been *much* better with falafel instead of black beans, but ya use what ya got, right?

You should see some of the stuff that I've tried to pass off as lasagna....

4 comments:

  1. That looks so good. I think I will have to hook one up. I saw that Aldi had avocados on sale for .68 cents and plum tomatoes .89lb. Will have to stop after work. Keep up the good work I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a question for you...when you only use part of an avacado and save the rest...how do you keep it from turning brown?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leonard- save a lot usually has better prices on avocados and tomatoes, but they close early. I envy you your Aldi- I've only been in one, but it was pretty neat.

    big e- I don't usually mind if they get a bit brown. About half the time I leave the seed in the "leftover" bit, then just drop the whole thing in a small plastic baggie- I just press the surface to it, squeeze out as much air as possible, and call it good. really, they don't last long enough to get really brown unless I'm sick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any kind of acid will keep avocados from getting brown - lemon juice is the common solution.

    ReplyDelete