Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day 185- Potatoes, Better As Booze

I don't have any booze, though, so I'll stick with them in their semi-solid form.

I nuked a bunch- like 5 or 6 medium potatoes and ate them over the course of the day. Super yummy with paprika, salt, oil, onion powder, and nutritional yeast over the hacked up roots. I only nuke 2 or 3 at a time, and the microwave has a setting just for it, making hands-on time pretty much zero.

Which I'm sure the roommates prefer, because it means I retreat to my lair while they cook. Total win for them, 'cause I usually stand over the food and tell it to cook faster so I can eat of its un-fleshy flesh. Seriously.

"Cook faster, pizza, so I can eat of your tasty wheaty flesh!"

Creepy, right? But fun.

For dinner I finally made some pea and potato curry-like-stuff.

It took almost an hour, which is about 5 times as long as the "baked" potatoes do. Oh well.

Pea and Potato Cheater Curry-
  • 1lb potatoes (about 450g), scrubbed and poked with a fork
  • 1/3 small can tomato paste
  • 1 small or 1/6 large onion, chopped
  • 1C peas
  • 1-2C water
  • 1-3tsp curry powder
  • 2T oil
  • 1T salt (or to taste)
Bake/ microwave the potatoes until they're done, about 9 minutes. start frying the onions in oil with some of the salt. Chop (large/ rough) the potato and toss it with the onion. Add extra oil if needed. Add spices and toss to coat. Try to cook the spices a bit. Add water, tomato paste, and peas, stirring until tomato is evenly spread in sauce. Add salt to taste, and cook sauce down to desired thickness. Makes 4 decent servings as a side or part of a meal, 2 if eaten alone.

To make it taste more like restaurant food, try making the sauce separately, and use more fat/ salt. It's not gourmet, but it's food.

So I ate all of that, it was ok. I need to start remembering to make rice when I make stuff like that, though- get more distance if the "main" isn't all I've got. So Win on eating, Fail on organisation. At this rate I'll be out of potatoes by the end of the week, but still won't have started the "real" food.

Here's a more accurate pea and potato curry recipe- doesn't have tomato, so it's probably more authentic, too.

2 comments:

  1. I am doing this tonight, except with garbanzo beans! and to celebrate my fancy shmancy new job (15 HOURS A WEEK AAAH) I am buying some really good curry to go in it! :D

    on a slightly related note, my budget for "money after i pay the rent" went from -20$ (living off savings) to 20-75$ a week... and my first thought was "yay, I can buy more beans!" and have more vietnamese sandwiches ($2.50/meal). and i definitely thought of this blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, 15 a week is not bad- enough to pay some bills, not so much it takes over your life.

    mmm, beans....

    ReplyDelete