Saturday, May 8, 2010

Day 83- Dogs and Locusts

I've been at my mother's house, dog-sitting, since late yesterday afternoon.

Photobucket
(he will sit like that for as long as the camera is out and on)

So while I finished off the last of my "cheating" food yesterday for breakfast, I did have "real" food for dinner. Oh, and please fogive any huge spelling mistakes- I'm using their computer and they use (horrors) IE.

Right, so food. The dog convinced me it was time for dinner (his, I think, thouh I'm pretty sure he'd already had one), so I pulled out a pair of pots and began my mission to empty my mother's kitchen (not really).

Photobucket

Quick Sauce Recipe-
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
  • 1-2T salt
  • 1-2T oil
  • 28 oz can tomatoes (I used diced, because that's what they had)
  • 1tsp-1T red pepper flakes
  • 2 black olives, diced
  • 1 sq" roasted red pepper, chopped super fine

Should be able to do this between when the water goes on, and when the pasta is done- including all chopping and dicing.

Oil, onion, and salt in pot on medium high (stir a lot) . When onions are soft and starting to brown add garlic. When the garlic aslo starts to get just a little color on it, dump in the can of tomatoes, the pepper flakes, the olive, and the chopped roasted pepper. Let it bubble for a minute or two, then turn the temp down and simmer until the pasta's done.

If you used something chunky and don't like chunky sauce, this is a good place for some quality time with a stick blender. I turned my sauce into a nice smooth liquid, only chunky bits were garlic or onion that escaped the wrath of the blades. If you have some, wine is great in this, either for deglazing the pan (pulls all the yummy stuff up and makes it easier to clean at the same time) or later, just to flavor the sauce. I ended up adding more salt, and probably could have used more garlic as well.

I also have enough sauce left for the whole of the rest of the weekend, and plenty of veggies. I might make a wild veggie pizza, if the weather cooperates. I brought pizza making stuff. I forgot to bring the wheat gluten, though, so no wheat meat this weekend.

Oh, I also ate an avocado that was left behind here, and needed to be eaten pretty much right away. But of course, that lasted nowhere near long enough for a photo, so you'll just have to picture its cool, green, creamy yummyness.

No comments:

Post a Comment