Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 187- A Terrible Shortage

I have (gasp) run out of onion. I knew it was a risk, but I didn't pick up the extra earlier this week. So now I'm out.

I'll get another (or 2) at Save-a-lot later today, but they were closed when I woke up yesterday. I've somehow managed to flip my days and nights again, sleeping from 3 in the afternoon until 10 or 11 at night. Drat those years on overnights.

So anyway, by the time I finally woke up last night everything near me but Publix was closed (I think). I ran there anyway, 'cause they have the best deal on soda going right now (2 for $1.69, or 87 cents each w/ tax for 2L bottles).

But then I got home, hungry, and wanted more potatoes. fried lightly in oil, with onions and garlic, and spice.

With no onion I had to get "creative"- I used twice as much garlic. It wasn't as good. If the garlic was roasted first, it'd have been perfect, but without the tasty, caramel-y, sweet bits from the roasting, it was just missing something.

Totally on/ off topic- I like to think that I could live forever eating only roasted garlic and onions, with maybe some bread or pasta to spread them on. I know I'd get sick of it eventually, but until I did, wow, would everything taste great. Of course, I'd have to live alone on the top of a very windy mountain to keep from killing people with garlic stink. I think it'd be worth it, though.

So, goals for today- buy onion, bleach crockpot, cook chickpeas, eat something other than potatoes. I'm down to about a pound of potatoes, so that one's pretty much guaranteed.

2 comments:

  1. Jeff Smith, the Frugal Gourmet (back in the 80's and 90's on PBS) once said that he ate a lot of garlic and that he knew that any wife of his would have to love garlic as well. He then added that his wife likes garlic, good thing, that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky guy. I'm thinking eating garlic is one of those things that goes on either the "mate must have" or "mate must *not* have" list- along with love of dogs/ cats and desire for (human) children.

    'Cause, you know, child-free, garlic hating cat ladies probably shouldn't try for LTR's with garlic farming, dynastic asthmatics.

    ReplyDelete