Wednesday, November 24, 2010

OBD 23- Beets! And Roasted Root Veg

I know I said yesterday that I'd make soup, but soup takes too long. I made beets and turnips, and onions instead.

Now, beets may not be the best choice when sick (srsly) but they're what I've got, so they're what I used.

I went through a few minutes with the turnip, right at the beginning, trying to decide if it really *was* a turnip, or if I was about to chop up the world's largest radish (pleh). Wikipedia told me they smell like that raw, and off I went. I chopped the turnip into short, skinny sticks, and tossed them in the oil filled wok.

I obviously wasn't thinking very clearly, 'cause obviously standing in front of a stove while stuff cooks takes more energy than waiting for them to bake or broil does. Oops. So then I washed and chopped the beets and tossed them in with the turnips, stirred for a bit, and added half an onion. Oh, and salt.

Now, for anyone who *doesn't* want a big, pink plateful of food, the roasting method would probably work better- beets on one end (or even in their own little packet), all other veggies wandering down the line in the cookie sheet. As I said, I wasn't thinking too clearly last night, and tossed the beets in the wok with everything else. Turnips seem to absorb color really well. I had a wok full of shockingly pink turnips, and slightly redder beets, plus onions with kinda pinkish edges.

Didn't even have to empty a bottle of food coloring for it! I love beets!

Of course, now I have to make sure that they stay in my stomach, so I don't convince myself (in a bit of fevery craziness) that my stomach or intestines are bleeding. But other than that it's good.

If you're like me and you have a big pile of root veggies in the fridge (or pantry, or car, or...) try roasting them. You need:

  • 2 to 4 lbs various root veggies
  • oil
  • salt
  • oven
  • cookie sheet
I really suggest covering the cookie sheet in something to make it easier to clean up, but that's up to you. also, you can make more than 4lbs worth, but it'll either need to cook longer, or you'll need to do more batches. Anyway, pre-heat oven to 450F. Peel (or not) and chop all the veggies into even-sized chunks- I like about 1in (2.5cm) per side. You don't have to flake the onion layers out. Toss the veggies with oil and salt, then spread them on the baking sheet. bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring the veggies occasionally for even browning. If you want them a bit more browned at the end, you can switch on the broiler for a couple minutes. This freezes well and can be added to a basic (thin) cream sauce/ white sauce for roasted root veggie chowder.


Now off to re-heat the leftovers, nom some vitamins, take my medicine, and try to get all healthy-like again. And maybe while the fever plays with my mind I can get some work done....

No comments:

Post a Comment