Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day 296- Pea and Potato Curry

I really like curries, and after Sunday, have been thinking about them pretty seriously. Pea and Potato Curry isn't normally made with cilantro, but I had some left over that needed to be used up, so I tossed it in for a fast, affordable dish that could easily feed 4 with rice.

Pea and Potato Curry-

  • 1lb potatoes, chopped
  • 1C onion, chopped
  • 1lb peas, frozen
  • 3C water
  • 2T oil, or to taste
  • 1/2 sm jar tomato paste
  • 2T curry powder
  • salt to taste
  • Cilantro, chopped (optional)
I like to cook the potatoes about half-way in the microwave before chopping and adding them to the pot, so do that first. Then while the potato is cooling, start frying the onion in oil. Add the potato and fry just a bit. Add everything else to the pan, stirring the curry powder in really well. Simmer on medium until the peas are soft, potatoes cooked, and the sauce thickens up, about 15 minutes.

The most expensive ingredient is the peas, crazy enough. All together, with a pot of rice, this recipe costs me about $2. It's $1 for the peas, then about 20 cents each for the potatoes, tomato paste, and rice. Another 40 cents covers the onion and all the spices. Really not bad. 

I, of course, ate the whole thing in one day. The only other thing I had yesterday, though, were a couple cookies. Not bad, over all. I wish I hadn't eaten the cookies, but I've been feeling blah and thought the sugar would help. What a silly thought. Sugar makes nothing better. I was just wired and exhaused, instead of only tired. Meh.

I have plenty of peas and potatoes, though, to make another batch. With rice, this time, so maybe it lasts more than 2 hours. Just need another onion. Good thing they're on sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment