Friday, March 11, 2011

Food Should Look Good?

I don't actually have a photo of my breakfast/ lunch from today. I guess I really should just call it my breakfast, since I ended up taking a walk to the very end of "the Mystery Island of DOOM" and dragged a bottle of coke along with me. Um, the drink, not the white powdery stuff. That'd be *really* bad for the whole steady weight thing.

Anyway, this morning I made something that, while quite healthy, and even kinda tasty, looked like dog vomit. With catsup.

No, really, it looked foul. I put it in tortillas and ate about half before I was full. I then promptly tossed the rest.

Not just because it looked like something you should throw out (though it did) but also because I went a bit overboard with the cabbage. I won't be buying more cabbage until monday.

Also, there's *a lot* of cabbage in a softball sized cabbage. I never would have guessed.

Anyway, it was cheap, and kinda tasty (um, less cabbage next time, tho), and if you don't mind food that looks really *really* REALLY gross, you should try it.

Breakfasty Veggie Taco Filling- (feeds one very hungry person, or two normal people)

  • 1 potato, diced
  • 1-3 leaves cabbage, chiffonade-ed
  • 1/4C onion, diced
  • 1-3 cloved garlic, diced
  • 1/4-1/2C tomato sauce
  • splash vinegar
  • 1tsp veggie oil
  • 1/2tsp salt
  • hot sauce to taste
  • fresh squeezed lime juice (if you want)
Fry up the veggies (in the oil), starting with the potatoes(until about half done), then onions, then cabbage and garlic. simmer/ fry until the cabbage starts to wilt, then add vinegar and salt, simmer another minute or two. Add tomato sauce, hot sauce, and lime juice. Serve in a bowl and fork into tortillas for yummy filling breakfast.

For eggy types, this would probably be good with fried or scrambled egg, meaty types would probably enjoy it with some chopped ham or leftover chicken, or something. 

But yeah, you're warned, it *looks* gross.

Oh, yeah, and everyone at home will be glad to hear it's a been a bit chilly. Needed blankets the last couple nights, and now I even *have* one. No, really, people were in long sleeves and sweatshirts this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment